Monday, July 27, 2009

Old Crimsons Never Die...

Brian Lloyd's Crimson Elektrik, circa 1981 (click to enlarge)

Crimson Electronics, circa 2009 (click to enlarge)

It's 1981. Ordinary People wins Best Picture. MTV begins broadcasting. Diana and Charles get married. Ronald Reagan is President and Margaret Thatcher is Prime Minister. A man named Brian Lloyd purchases an amp and preamp that he will use well into the following century.

Crimson Electronics Founder and Chief Designer Brian Powell received this email in January of 2009:

Hello, Brian,

It’s taken me 28 years to get around to thanking you and all concerned for producing the Crimson Elektrik.

I purchased the Pre and Power Amp kits from Badger Sound Services based in Lytham St. Annes. I struggled to raise the cash to buy two CE-1004 boards (£46.04), the Power Amp Hardware Kit (£35.03) and the Power Supply CPS-3 (£19.75), a total of £100.82.

Then it was down to working overtime like the clappers to save for the Preamp Kit, the CPR-1S at £44.50 plus the Hardware Kit at £39.80 (a staggering £84.30!)

As you may have guessed, I still have the original receipts.

But when I fired the kit up for the first time... what joy!

She (my Crimson) has never once let me down in all that time, and still it seems I’m listening again for the very first time, through the past 28 years she has always been there, to give my joy in the good times and to bring me solace in the sad.

Although I still have all my vinyl albums, I changed to CD years ago, and the old girl just took it all in her stride as I knew she would.

My son is a dedicated Naim buff, and has a very esoteric setup, but he discovered his love of Hi-Fi through my Crimsons.

Your design of all those years ago is perhaps what should define Hi-Fi, a system that is not only sweet to listen to but becomes part of one’s life.

I hope you don’t mind my sharing my reminiscences with you, but I thought you might enjoy the moment, and as a special treat, I’ve included a snap of my beloved old girl.

Many thanks for all the joy you’ve given us,

Brian Lloyd


And thank you, too, Brian!

No comments:

Post a Comment